Car seats are the ultimate travel product for children, to keep them safe whilst in a vehicle. However, they’re also traps for crumbs and the dreaded nappy explosions or the vomit gromit on a long car journey. Don’t worry mums and dads, it happens to all parents.
Taking good care of your car seat means it will last as long as you need it to and stay new looking for longer too. But getting it right takes a little research and patience so you don’t damage the car seat or make tough-to-get-out stains even worse. Using the wrong products, machine washing certain parts, or incorrectly re-assembling can all compromise the quality and safety of the product.
However, that doesn’t mean you must have a dirty car seat sitting ominously in the back of your car. We have some tricks, tips and techniques to ensure you get the best out of your car seat, care so you look forward to strapping your little one into their fresh-smelling seat.
Sometimes a quick wipe and a hoover will do the job, but nothing stays clean for very long when it comes to children. It’s recommended that car seat covers are cleaned every two weeks! Don’t worry if you’re reading this in horror at the thought of your months-old, unwashed car seat in the car; parents are busy people!
Help is here! This is your handy Joie Car Seat guide to taking care of and maintaining your car seat.
How to Clean a Joie Car Seat
The Joie brand is loved by many parents and their children, and their car seats are well known for being safe and comfortable. Put through rigorous testing and made with top-quality materials such as stainless steel and durable yet luxurious fabrics, parents trust the brand for safety and quality.
The main thing to consider when cleaning any baby and children’s product, including car seats, is the cleaning products that you’re using. Baby’s skin is very sensitive, and harsh chemicals could irritate their skin, not to mention how they could compromise the seat’s fabric. It is recommended to use a very gentle soap or detergent when cleaning car seats, so consider using natural products or fragrance-free.
One of the most popular types of Joie car seats is the Joie i-Spin 360 because of their easy accessibility, comfort and versatility. So, is the Joie i-spin as easy to clean as it is to use? Of course!
How to Clean the Joie i-Spin 360
Step One. Remove the fabric from the car seat.
- You can do this by loosening the straps and clipping them securely out of the way on either side of the car seat.
- Remove the infant body support (if using) and lift the headrest to the highest point.
- Unhook the two elastic straps from the back of the headrest and slide the fabric pocket off the plastic extension.
- Secure the straps in the compartment behind the seat pad and unhook the plastic tags at the front of the seat.
- Release the strap buckle and the strap from the surrounding cover.
- Gently loosen the fabric away from the edges of the car seat, around the front and sides.
- Hold the fabric with both hands at the top of the two sides and pull it to remove it from the car seat.
- Finally, unfasten the shoulder strap covers and remove them.
Step two. Wash the fabric in the washing machine.
- Place the car seat cover and the seat’s padding in the washing machine and set it to a cool and gentle cycle, making sure you are using a mild detergent too.
- If tumble drying, ensure this is done on low heat, but it is best to air dry.
- Ensure the fabric is completely dry before reattaching it to the car seat.
Step three. Reattach the fabric to the car seat.
- Wrap the shoulder strap covers around the straps and reattach them.
- Put the outer fabric over the head of the car.
- Trace your hands around the outer edge of the car seat and pull the fabric to fit correctly.
- Push the buckle back through the buckle slot and pull the strap through the strap hole too.
- Slip the plastic tags (at the front of the seat) back into place at the front of the seat.
- Attach the shoulder straps to the side of the car seat, so they’re out of the way.
- Slip the bottom of the headrest fabric over the plastic flap and pull up and over until secure.
- Reattach the upper elastics on the back of the headrest.
- To reattach the lower elastics feed from front to back.
- Inset the infant body support (if using) and lower the headrest back to the desired height.
- Loosen the straps ready for use.
Whilst these steps are specific to a Joie i-Spin 360, other Joie car seats are similar in structure for continuity and reliability. Even though each car seat has its own features and benefits, these instructions can be adapted for each one.
How to Clean Joie Car Seat Stains
Sometimes a simple wash just isn’t enough for those pesky, mysterious stains. Even if you’ve been lucky enough to avoid significant spillages on your car seat over time, stains will likely creep up on you.
Of course, as with any stain, the sooner you tackle it, the more likely you are to be able to remove it, so as soon as you notice any stains on your car seat, work on those first using the following tips before washing the rest of the fabric.
Top Car Seat Stain Removing Tips
- Prepare a bowl of warm water, a few drops of gentle soap, and a cleaning product or detergent.
- Alternatively, use your favourite stain remover brand.
- Dab the mixture with a soft cloth or sponge onto the stain.
- Use a soft bristle cleaning brush to massage the cleaning solution into the stain gently. Patience is your best friend here.
- Wipe the cleaning product away from the fabric using a damp cloth.
- Allow airing dry.
- Repeat the steps if necessary for even tougher stains.
- Once you have removed the stains as best as possible, follow the steps to clean a Joie car seat for a complete wash.
How to Deep Clean a Joie Car Seat
We’re talking about a regularly used baby product that is regretfully overlooked in the cleaning department. It’s okay mums and dads, we understand how busy you are. So, when you finally get around to cleaning your car seat, you should give it a thorough, deep clean. There’s nothing worse than only doing half a job. Cleaning the fabric and returning it to a crumb-filled base and sticky straps could be better.
Top Car Seat Deep Cleaning Tips
- Start by hoovering any crumbs off the fabric before removing them.
- Remove the fabric from the car seat and pre-treat any stains.
- Wash the car seat cover in the washing machine using a cool and gentle setting.
- Use a piping nozzle to hoover out any crumbs from inside the car seat that escaped behind the fabric.
- Use your favourite cleaning products (not bleach) and a damp cloth to clean the straps, buckle, interior plastic casing, and any handles and levers. Alternatively, remove the straps from the car seat for a more substantial cleaning.
- Allow the car seat frame and cover to air dry before reattaching fully.
Once you get started on a cleaning spree, it can become quite enjoyable and satisfying. Play your favourite music and listen as the dirt washes away. While on a roll, cleaning your baby’s stroller makes sense, too, so they can have an all-around fresh experience on their outings.
What not to do when cleaning your car seat
Now that you know how to clean your Joie car seat deep and remove those stains, we have some other tips to help you get a fresher, brighter, cleaner car seat. Here is a list of things of what NOT to do.
- Never use bleach or bleach-based products on your Joie car seat.
- Never use vinegar-based homemade cleaners; the PH could damage the fabric and leave a strong odour in your car.
- Don’t use harsh, rough sponges, as these can erode the fibres and weaken the restraint of the harness. It can leave your car seat looking worn out and old.
We at Kiddies Kingdom hope you enjoy your Joie car seat clean, fresh and sparkling new for as long as you need it.