A trip away with your little one is a great way to bond and relax. However, it may come as a surprise just how many things you’ll need to consider, before booking your family holiday. From the time of the flight, the best time of year to go and not to mention the destination itself. Just when you thought it was all over, then comes the thought of what you’ll need to pack. If you’re lucky, your tot may be the ideal travel companion. But what if they get ill? What if you forget their favourite cuddly toy? How will you keep them entertained? For those who may not fall so fortunate, we’ve created a holiday checklist for families, to help ensure a smooth-sailing trip. Our tips on the essentials you’ll need, ensures you pack all the necessary items for your little one.
Baby holiday checklist
Travelling can be stressful. Especially if the journey is long, you’ll want to make sure you have everything at hand. So, our holiday checklist for families is here to help!
- Travel documents, booking confirmations and passports
- Car seat
- Window shade for the car
- Travel potty
- Changing bag with essentials: dummies, nappies, wipes, nappy bags, travel changing mat, nappy rash cream, muslins, change of clothes and teether
- Sweets and snacks to stop ears popping on the aeroplane
- Baby carrier
- Favourite cuddly toy
- Activity books and crayons, selection of toys, tablet or DVD player
- Bottled milk, food and snacks
- First aid kit
Holiday toiletries checklist
Your toiletry bag will double in size once you start roaming with your child. If you’re only going on a short-stay holiday, you can transfer large bottles of shower gel and shampoo into handy travel bottles.
- Hand sanitiser
- Sponge, shampoo and body wash
- Baby and toddler moisturiser
- Lots of nappies, nappy rash cream and nappy bags
- Swim nappies
- Hair bobbles and hair clips
- A universal travel bath plug – for turning basins into baby baths
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Talcum powder for getting rid of sand at the beach
Sun protection checklist
If you’re going on a beach holiday, consider that the hotel shop will squeeze your pockets more, for things like sun cream and insect repellent. So, buy it all at home before you go!
- Parasol for pram
- UVA protection pop up tent
- Toddler reins
- Sun hats
- Sun cream
- After sun
- Insect repellent/after bite
- Arm bands/pool floats
- UVA protection swimsuits
- Cool clothes for during the day
- Warmer clothes for when it may be cooler
Sleeping on holiday checklist
Always remember to check if your accommodation provides travel cots. As, it will save you having to carry round more than you need. Plus, it gives you extra space to throw in a couple of the extra toys your tot loves.
- Travel cot
- Night light (you will need the plug adapters too)
- Bedtime books
- Baby monitor
- Black out blinds
- Nighttime nappies
- Cot bedding
Food and drink supplies checklist
Remember to pack plenty of bowls, forks and spoons to avoid messy mealtimes! You’ll also need some bibs and lots of wet wipes for any mishaps.
- Food pouches or jars
- Milk supplies
- Beakers and bottles
- Bottle warmer
- Sterilising equipment
- Breast pump
- Hand-held blender
- Plastic spoons, forks and bowls
At first glance, this may seem like an endless baby holiday checklist. Don’t fret though, it’s inevitable that you will forget some things. However, you can usually buy most items listed at most places you will travel to. One piece of essential advice is to stock up on baby snacks and food once you are at the airport. This will free up extra space in your suitcase – bonus! Plus, you’ll have yummy treats handy, for your little one to munch on whilst travelling. Our baby holiday checklist is guaranteed to reduce the stress of going away with your child, for all their early years.